If you are uneducated in the medical world, then it’s common to hear or come across terms that you may not recognize. That is why, here at Darden DDS, we are dedicated to making you feel comfortable and give you the proper understanding you may need for any of your oral health.
Here are some common terms you may hear in the dental field that can also be found in the American Dental Association website:
1. Abutment: a tooth or implant fixture used as a support for prosthesis.
2. Abutment crown: An artificial crown also serving for the retention or support of dental prosthesis.
3. Dentin: This is hard tissue that forms the bulk of the tooth and develops from the dental papilla and pulp.
4. Graft: A piece of tissue or alloplastic material in contact with tissue to repair a defect or injury.
5. Prophylaxis: This is the removal of plaque, calculus, and stains from the tooth structures.
6. Pulp: Connective tissue that contains blood vessels and nerve tissues which occupies the pulp cavity of a tooth.
As you can see, there are many terms to learn in the world of dentistry. However, if you ever hear a term you may not know or understand, please do not hesitate to ask your dentist. Your dentist is here to help you feel safe and secure throughout your entire visit, and address any questions or concerns you may have pertaining to your oral care. So, call us today and schedule an appointment for your next checkup. Let us clean your smile.